Combining Forces at the Western Isles Community Energy Conference
The main message coming from the Western Isles Community Energy Conference 2018 was that community energy groups throughout the Western Isles, and further afield, need to work together in order to realise their potential.
The conference, hosted by Community Energy Scotland, was held in Leverburgh Hall yesterday (Thursday 8th March). Attendees ranged from local community groups with existing and potential energy projects, to relevant stakeholders and other local agencies, to a group of international students studying at the University of Flensburg. Speakers presented on a variety of topics such as the use of Electric Vehicles in the Western Isles, linking local generation with local demand in the islands, the potential for hydrogen ferries, and the benefits energy efficiency improvements and the introduction of renewables can bring to community-owned facilities.
Kathleen Macdonald, one of Community Energy Scotland’s two Development Officers based in Stornoway, encouraged community groups to identify possible new sources of electricity demand as early on as possible, and to come in to speak to Community Energy Scotland at any point to see whether a project can be worked up. She also highlighted the opportunity for community groups to come together to progress a combined community wind farm.
Community Energy Scotland would like to thank its main sponsor, Galson Energy Limited, and two secondary sponsors, Orenda Energy Solutions and Ecossina, as well as Comhairle nan Eilean Siar, LEADER Innse Gall and Western Isles Development Trust for their support.
Community Energy Scotland staff are happy to speak to community groups at any stage in the development of an energy efficiency or renewables project to discuss any assistance that is needed.
- 2019-04-15 ENERGY ON THE EDGE: RENEWABLE ENERGY AND BATTERY SYSTEM FOR THE ISLE OF CANNA OPENS
- 2019-04-03 Energy system of the future to be demonstrated in Orkney
- 2019-03-13 Engaging Community Energy in Local Project Aspirations
- 2019-03-11 Community Energy Scotland Response to Smart Export Guarantee Consultation
- 2019-03-05 OFGEM Targeted Charging Review (TCR) ‘Minded to’ consultation & Future Charges consultation
- 2019-01-16 CES Strategy for 2018-2021 Published
- 2019-01-09 Western Isles Electric Vehicle Survey Now Open!
- 2018-12-06 CES awarded over £110,000 from SP Energy Networks’ Green Economy Fund
- 2018-11-29 CES Annual Review Released
- 2018-08-31 CES Response to the Future of Small-scale Low-carbon Generation Consultation