South of Scotland enterprise consultation
The Scottish Government is seeking views on the role and approach for a new enterprise agency for Dumfries & Galloway and the Scottish Borders, to promote business and help communities thrive.
CES is responding with a focus on enabling the community energy sector. As we do so, we would welcome input and feedback on our draft recommendations for the consultation response, from community organisations and other stakeholders in the region.
The consultation covers areas such as:
- What would people like to see change in the region’s economy, and how could an enterprise agency help?
- What existing strengths and good practice can be expanded, perhaps working with other enterprise agencies in Scotland?
- How might the agency be organised – one or more physical locations, or largely digital?
- How can a new agency best address young people’s concerns, avoid discrimination, and promote equality?
- What does an organisation need to do to ensure inclusive growth enables positive social and environmental outcomes?
We have drafted our response and are happy to share it with members and other relevant partners. Please email email@example.com and we will be in touch.
Our main theme is the value to the South of Scotland economy and to local regeneration of investment and support for renewable energy generation and energy efficiency. We promote specific inclusion and support for development of community owned or community engaged initiatives which retain the highest level of local value within the economy.
We also encourage a focus on local renewable energy economies, in which self-reliance at community level is bolstered through:
- new skills and jobs
- new revenue streams that match supply and demand without long-distance transactions
- new confidence among people to take decisions and shape their community.
We state our opposition to reliance on finite resources and highlight the value of low-carbon energy for sectors including tourism, forestry and farming.
We are recommending that the South of Scotland Enterprise agency develops a Community Energy Strategy to enable a strategic and coordinated approach to the planning and delivery of the elements suggested above.
You are welcome to join the consultation directly via the Scottish Government website, or alongside us.
- 2019-04-15 ENERGY ON THE EDGE: RENEWABLE ENERGY AND BATTERY SYSTEM FOR THE ISLE OF CANNA OPENS
- 2019-04-03 Energy system of the future to be demonstrated in Orkney
- 2019-03-13 Engaging Community Energy in Local Project Aspirations
- 2019-03-11 Community Energy Scotland Response to Smart Export Guarantee Consultation
- 2019-03-05 OFGEM Targeted Charging Review (TCR) ‘Minded to’ consultation & Future Charges consultation
- 2019-01-16 CES Strategy for 2018-2021 Published
- 2019-01-09 Western Isles Electric Vehicle Survey Now Open!
- 2018-12-06 CES awarded over £110,000 from SP Energy Networks’ Green Economy Fund
- 2018-11-29 CES Annual Review Released
- 2018-08-31 CES Response to the Future of Small-scale Low-carbon Generation Consultation