Canna CREE project wins SGEA Community Award
We were delighted to hear that the CREE project on Canna has won the 2019 Best Community Project award at the prestigious Scottish Green Energy Awards. Geraldine Mackinnon, chair of CREEL, was at the Scottish Renewables event and so was able to collect the award in person.
Minister for Energy, Connectivity and the Islands Paul Wheelhouse MSP opening the CREEL system in April; the Minister also won the Outstanding Contribution award at the SGEA event, and was delighted that CREEL took home an award too
The Canna Renewable Energy and Electrification project involved the construction of a new system based around wind, solar and battery storage which has drastically reduced fuel usage and running costs. During the first year of operation, the new system has generated over 138MWh of electricity, of which 93% was renewable. This has resulted in a 94% reduction in diesel usage, saving 100.9 tonnes of carbon dioxide emissions. The generators ran for under 2% of the time (operating less than 3 times per month on average), compared to running 24/7 previously.
30kWp solar PV array installed behind the farm buildings
Community Energy Scotland has been supporting the community on Canna with this project since 2009, and project managed the final development and construction stages on behalf of the community company, CREEL. We are thrilled that the SGEA judges recognised the persistence of the community in taking forward such a complex and ambitious project in a very remote location.
Paul Wheelhouse MSP; Geraldine Mackinnon, CREEL Chair; and Jamie Adam, CES Project Manager for the system
This award is just one in a line of recent successes for the island; Canna Community Shop won the Horace Plunkett Better Business Award in late November, and one of residents, Anna Munro, took home the award for Gaelic as an Economic Asset, with her graphic design business, Graficanna, at the recent Scottish Gaelic Awards.
- 2019-12-11 Canna CREE project wins SGEA Community Award
- 2019-12-04 CES 2019 Annual Review published
- 2019-10-30 'Community Action on the Climate Emergency' Event
- 2019-04-15 ENERGY ON THE EDGE: RENEWABLE ENERGY AND BATTERY SYSTEM FOR THE ISLE OF CANNA OPENS
- 2019-04-03 Energy system of the future to be demonstrated in Orkney
- 2019-03-13 Engaging Community Energy in Local Project Aspirations
- 2019-03-11 Community Energy Scotland Response to Smart Export Guarantee Consultation
- 2019-03-05 OFGEM Targeted Charging Review (TCR) ‘Minded to’ consultation & Future Charges consultation
- 2019-01-16 CES Strategy for 2018-2021 Published
- 2019-01-09 Western Isles Electric Vehicle Survey Now Open!