Community energy representatives gather in Harris
Inspiration from near and far will be shared at the 2018 Western Isles Community Energy Conference in March.
Community groups will gather at Leverburgh Hall, Harris, on Thursday 8th March to explore a range of topics around the theme of Local Energy Economies – adding value to locally-produced energy by using it near to where it’s sourced rather than exporting it to customers far away. CES Head of Development, Gillian Wilson, will lead a workshop for delegates.
The Outer Hebrides Local Energy Hub is a great example of how some smart thinking can make the fullest use possible of a range of resources. The OHLEH base, near Stornoway, sees collaboration between fish farming, renewable energy and Comhairle nan Eilean Siar (the council) to join up inputs and outputs from businesses and public services. Guest speakers from the University of Flensburg will present their analysis of the scheme, to give an international perspective and put the Western Isles in a European context.
Further topics include the potential for electric vehicles and how to improve efficiency in community buildings.
The event builds on the successful 2017 conference that saw 50 delegates gather in Talla Na Mara, West Harris.
The conference will run from 10am–3.30pm. Community Energy Scotland’s Annual General Meeting will take place at 1pm, with reports to members and the election of board members for 2018-19. All delegates are welcome to attend.
For further information or to book your place at the conference, please contact Kirsten Macdonald by Wednesday 28th February 2018.
The conference is being supported by Comhairle nan Eilean Siar through the Outer Hebrides Community Energy Support Service and by LEADER Innse Gall and Western Isles Development Trust through the Outer Hebrides Facility Based Support Programme.
- 2018-07-06 CES recruiting in Orkney
- 2018-06-28 Low carbon transport ideas? Bank on us
- 2018-05-18 South of Scotland enterprise consultation
- 2018-04-19 CES welcomes £5m Scottish Government support for communities
- 2018-04-12 Nicola Sturgeon puts CES on the global stage
- 2018-04-06 Countdown to All-Energy
- 2018-03-27 CARES conference invites communities
- 2018-03-09 Combining Forces at the Western Isles Community Energy Conference
- 2018-03-05 International students model of efficiency
- 2018-02-27 Western Isles set out local energy agenda