National Grid open to community energy opportunities
There's interest across the electricity industry in ways to better 'balance' the grid, smoothing out peaks of demand and supply.
One of the major players is National Grid and CES has recently been discussing potential opportunities for our members with them.
The grid company (which operates across Scotland, Wales and England) agrees that community energy projects are uniquely able to deliver consumer action at a local level. CES underlined the appetite of community generators for innovation – both technically and with new business models.
National Grid electricity control centre. (Picture courtesy National Grid)
National Grid is interested in engaging with community energy representatives to gain a better understanding of the potential regulatory and contractual barriers that local generators face. The importance for community energy of innovation, including demand response services, will grow as the value of the Feed-in Tariff stalls and the export price of electricity remains volatile.
CES asked the National Grid representatives if they could share data about the condition of transmission grid infrastructure (high voltage cables, transformers etc) across Scotland. This would help us identify which of our members are in locations where they can offer grid balancing services or overcome grid constraint by matching local generation with local demand – and tap into a new revenue stream to boost the community benefit.
CES will carry on representing all our members to industry bodies across Scotland and the UK.
- 2017-10-02 SMILE to deliver an Orkney smart grid
- 2017-09-27 Surf 'n' Turf unveils clean energy future
- 2017-09-25 Hydrogen and fuel cell conference
- 2017-08-15 Back to school for Absolute Solar and Wind
- 2017-08-09 Work with us to boost your community's travel choices
- 2017-07-19 Infrastructure and Innovation Fund reopens
- 2017-06-26 Deadline extended by M&S Energy
- 2017-06-23 Join the communities celebrating local energy
- 2017-06-19 The Energy Rebellion: Film Tour
- 2017-06-16 CES windfarm highly commended